Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group

It's the first Wednesday of the month and time for Insecure Writer's Support Group! If you're an insecure writer or just looking for a forum to discuss writing strategies and meet other authors and bloggers, check us out here. And a huge shout out to our fearless leader, Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh, for starting this amazing group!

I've taken a month off from writing, blogging, and pretty much everything non-wedding related as I entered into the whirlwind that was getting married. But now my wedding has come and gone, my honeymoon enjoyed, presents opened, thank-you notes sent, and now... finally... I am able to get back to normal. Blissful, married normal, but normal nonetheless. 

And I am a bit scared. I've decided to go back to work on a formerly abandoned piece that's been sitting on the metaphorical shelf for many years. It needs A LOT of work, and might be better left alone, but I've decided to just dive in and see what happens. And as nervous as I am that it'll be a complete disaster, I'm also experiencing that amazing feeling only writers know as we open up a fresh page and dive in to an all new (or in this case, new again) project. 

It's wonderful, and terrifying, and I'll just have to keep plugging away and see what I've got underneath the wreck of my uncompleted first draft. Keep your fingers crossed for me! And good luck to all the other writers out there in various phases of the writing process. Remember, don't think of it as a novel. It's one word, followed by one sentence, followed by one paragraph, followed by...


12 comments:

  1. Congratulations again! Marriage is awesome. At least I think so.
    Going back and reworking or rewriting an old piece can really pay off. It did for me.
    And welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you! Getting married is such a whirlwind for sure.

    It sounds like you may have a new normal. LOL! Can't wait to hear more about your upcoming project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in the married life!
    Remember: whoever is loading the dishwasher is doing it the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the wedding Shannon! A lot of things worth doing are wonderful, and terrifying. That's what makes them fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that often leaving it alone for some time is a big part of seeing how it all fits together.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting married!
    Good luck with your WIP, I hope it works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your nuptials! I am certain it was wonderful and the honeymoon blissful. Reality sucks sometimes:) I think diving into something old and making it new again is something to look forward to. Don't be blue about it just read other people's blogs and borrow from them to help you on your writing goal. Did ya see what I did?:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blew the dust off an old manuscript a few months ago. It's been a tough project to work on, but at the same time it's rewarding to see something you found impossible actually start to take shape, even if it's slow-going. I find side projects help me avoid fatigue on the one book, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dive dive dive! :D haha have fun with it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better to tackle the thing, especially if you've found you have new ideas or perspective on it. Although if you don't, maybe put it back in the drawer. And then maybe start just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like your book needs a complete rewrite. So go for it; a great story, like fine wine, can only get better with age.

    P.S: Congratulations, Lauren, and Happy Married Life to you and your hubby. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wedding? How wonderful. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete