Monday, March 12, 2012

The Princess Predicament

When I was a little girl, I loved the Disney princess movies. Truth be told, I still do. Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella – they’re all wonderful. And I’m not ashamed to admit that I spent a lot of time dancing around my house, pretending I was one of them.

However, when I got older and began developing a fascination with superheroes and villains during my teenage years, it occurred to me how limited I’d been in my childhood. As a girl, I’d been steered towards “girly” interests – like the Disney princesses. I had a plethora of tiaras and tutus, but one ever gave me a comic book. Or superhero action figurines. 

Now that I’m in my twenties, I’m faced with a slight crisis of identity. When faced with the choice between princesses and superheroes . . . which do I chose? Some might think this a silly concern, but it’s actually come up more than once. And apparently I’m not the only one who feels this way, because a few clever artists came up with a solution. Please let me introduce . . .

The Princess Superhero!!!

Above: Ariel, Aurora, Esmeralda, Mulan, Meg and Jasmine
Below: Ariel, Belle, Aurora, Jasmine, Cinderella, Mulan, Snow White and Tiana

Pretty awesome, right? And what's a Superhero Princess without a comic book to chronicle her adventures?


It certainly makes me wish someone would come out with a summer blockbuster film where they all team up, like the Avengers or the Justice League. We could call them Team Tiara! But regardless, I think I've found the solution to my predicament . . . and my next costume idea for Halloween. 


13 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect, doesn't it? And they'd make awesome costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo ... when The Disney Channel inevitably steals this idea, you'd better make sure they give you royalties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those would be awesome and I could totally convince The Wife to let me read them with The Girl.

    Also, in the second pic, I think that's Jasmine not Pocahontas, because of the tiger stripes and color of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! This is too funny, if only it were a show...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome. I'd totally make a costume like that if I knew how to properly sew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see I'm not the only Superhero Princess fan out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at especially the top row of pics, I have to wonder... what super hero, male or female, would honestly feel comfortable going out in public and putting their lives in danger dressed half-naked?! Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Flash, and countless other male super heroes all have full-body protection. Unless you've got super-strong skin (e.g., The Hulk, Thing), wouldn't you want to be exposing a little less flesh? Just a thought... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, the Disney Princess superhero is the best. We need less priss and more bad a**! This put a smile on my face. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally cool! I'm liking Arial's green skin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My choice hasn't changed since I was five. Superhero all the way. But a really well dressed one. Which I think was your whole point anyway.ha

    ReplyDelete