Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Fresh Starts

It seems like a hundred years since I've entered the vast (and occasionally overwhelming) blog-o-sphere. In fact it’s only been about three months. But suffice it to say three months can, on occasion, feel like an eternity. And now that an eternity has passed, I begin my attempt to dust off the old blog and dive back into the deep end, and what better place to begin than the Insecure Writer's Support Group


A few months back I wrote a blog post entitled The Perks of Amnesia in which I commented on the upside to losing one’s memory. Looking back I have to say . . .

I’m an idiot.

As someone who’s had a recent up close and personal experience with memory loss, I am here to tell you there is absolutely no upside to amnesia.

For the record, I am not afflicted with the aforementioned condition - though by my neglect of this blog, you might wonder if I were. But a few months ago while on a family vacation, my mother’s heart stopped for nearly six minutes, and one of the many residual effects of this traumatic event is a major loss in memory. Fortunately it’s not a permanent change and it gets a little better every day; but it has taught me a valuable lesson. Memories are fragile things. Like snowflakes or fingerprints, no two are alike. They cannot be reconstructed or recreated. If you once loved Harry Potter, that love is in part tied up in the midnight release parties and the hours of discussion over whether Harry will or won't survive the final novel. Objectively you can still say it's a wonderful story regardless of a fractured memory; but your love of the series is inextricably linked with your memories surrounding it. 

But I digress. 

So, what with the family problems and amnesiac hell, it's been a brutal past few months. Months in which I have written not one single word. So I think it's time for a fresh start. New book idea (which I'm already finding overwhelming before I've yet to even begin), new positive outlook (or at least an attempt to stop being quite so gloomy), and (hopefully) a renewed devotion to blogging. My Insecure Writer's Goal for the Month is to get back to posting at least once a week, thought you'll have to pardon me if I'm a little rusty. 

Hopefully I'll be able to stay on top of these goals and will stop neglecting my writing. Fingers crossed. And good luck to all you other Insecure Writers this month!

19 comments:

  1. Yes, I think that any form of memory loss is quite frightening. I hope that your mother is recovering her health and her memories, and also that you can get back into your writing this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we have the same goal ahead of us :) good luck with your new idea and i hope those great memories are restored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack! What the heck happened?
    Memory loss and brain injuries are one of the few things that really frighten me (other than things that could happen to my kids). Memories form who we are, and I like who I am and don't want to wake up someone else.
    Glad to see you back. Good luck with the new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctors are still working on the "what the heck happened" question. But I agree. Memory loss is far scarier than I ever realized before this. But today I'm just thankful for the little things and happy to be back blogging.

      Delete
  4. love you! you have to tell me about your new project when I see you next week, but I'm glad to know you've started writing a bit again! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck meeting your goals.

    Hope your mom's memories are restored.
    Jai Visiting from IWSG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god! You being back has made my week. I'm sorry for your troubles but if you ever need a pick me up...I mean ever...shoot me an email and I have you cackling and ready to write in no time!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your reply here just made MY week. I'm so happy to be back and am seriously looking forward to going through all the back-logged blog posts I missed. As usual, yours is at the top of my list.

      Delete
  7. That's so tough. I hope your mum continues to improve. It's good to see you back on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So-so very glad to see you back writing!!!! Frances

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck to you!!!!! and I totally agree with your post. Except for that part about you being an idiot.ha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry about your mother! Glad she continues to improve every day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've had a hard time! I'm glad she seems to be getting better, and I hope that carries on. As for the writing, it's good that you have goals, and I'm sure you can achieve them :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awful about your mother. You should warm up those writing chops with a short story. You know, no thinking about it, no outlining, just, "Timmy Wilford brags that he's killed a man, but the truth is much worse..." or something like that, and a few thousand words later it'll be like you never missed a beat.

    Whatever, I'm just talking out my arse. I'm glad your back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes a Fresh start is the best thing you can do for yourself and your writing. You make some intriguing points about memories and how certain emotions are linked in a large part to them. In fact, you have given me a few ideas in regards to a character in my next book - thank you and may your mother soon be fully healthy and whole with her cherished memories right back where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, S.L.

    Nice to meet you. Wow, you certainly learned a valuable lesson. MEMORIES are so very important. I love the example you used. HP is very important to me because I discovered this world after my father had died in three months after a horrific bout of pancreatic cancer. I needed the escape and the first movie came out at the time of his funeral.

    That memory is so significant and started my passion for JK ROWLING and how she had inspired me to read again and eventually write.

    A fresh start is always a wonderful thing. Take your time and enjoy the rebirth of your writing. ALL THE BEST,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nate and I send our best to you and your mom and dad...glad to see you are back on the blog.
    Jan Cantrell, Ocean Isle Beach NC

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to have you back; Best of luck with the goals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back...my wonderful, patient, amazing writer and loving niece! We have missed you and still do.

    ReplyDelete