Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday - Books of 2011


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

We'd love for you to participate! Just answer the prompt on your own blog and leave a link -- or, if you prefer, you can include your answer in the comments.

This Week's Topic: What were your top five favorite books of 2011?


For an avid reader, this is a truly horrible question to face. I read so many books this year, it's really challenging to narrow it down to only five. However, I've done my very best. A few of these are books that didn't come out this year, but that I only got around to reading in 2011. 

1. The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins 


2. The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan 


3. Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson 


4. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 


5. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 


This is my finalized list (there was a lot of agonizing over which ones made the cut). They were all incredible, and if you haven't already read them, you really, really should. What were some of your favorite books of 2011?


16 comments:

  1. What an awesome group of books. I haven't heard of Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson. I'll have to look it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... I remember the TV series of LOGAN'S RUN (yup, I'm old), but never thought about reading the book. The HITCHHIKER'S series is excellent, and well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just getting to Hitchhiker's this year?! Such a scandal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list! I loved THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy--though maybe the first two books more than the third... and THE GRAVEYARD BOOK was so good! If I hadn't read that last year, it would probably have been on my list this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have the first one of The Heroes of Olympus on my kindle. God, I need more time to read!
    So many amazing books!
    Great list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Hunger Games and The Graveyard Book! Not into the regurgitation that is Rick Riordan's books, but I did like The Lightning Thief. Somewhat. ^_^

    Happy belated Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Graveyard Book was fantastic! I must be really behind with The Hunger Games, haha. I've only just got the first book for Christmas.

    And I didn't know Logan's Run was a book as well! I've seen the film and it was brilliant. Oh, I am definitely tracking that one down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going through your picks and agreed with them, and then when I got to Logan's Run I flashed onto the part of the movie with the freeze robot and laughed aloud. Even with the cheesiness, that's a great movie but I haven't read the book. I'll have to track down a copy. And the Graveyard Book is marvelous on audio, read by Mr. Gaiman himself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have only read Hitchhiker's Guide and that was a very long time ago. Excellent list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours is the first list where I've actually read all the books (well, except for Logan's Run but I've seen the movie about a million times). I LOVED The Graveyard Book, but I read that last year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the entire HUNGER GAMES trilogy, of course, but I haven't read any of your other selections yet! I've got THE GRAVEYARD BOOK sitting on my nightstand, though. Time to give it a read, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep seeing the Riordan title! Guess it goes on *my* list! And isn't Douglas Adams just the best? Man! Good job, narrowing it down to five. You did better than I.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still have to read the Hunger Games....

    I saw Logan's Run this year, but I'm sure the book would be a better journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to see The Son of Neptune on your list! I was wondering if I should read it.

    I read The Graveyard Book, and was fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh. I need to do this too.... and its.... gonna.... be... PAINFUL!!

    So many books! How do we choose?!

    I have to admit, though, I did NOT like the Graveyard book, nor am I a fan of the Percy Jackson books.

    I believe this makes me some kind of weird mutant book reader.

    [shrugs]

    What can I say? Maybe that means I'm an X-man... hehe.

    P.s. I MISS YOU!!! Can't wait to get back to the guild! (Or, the "cult" as Rob likes to call it! Haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been years since I thought about the amazing book, Logan's Run. It was a favorite of mine. People assume my 15 year old daughter is named Logan because I loved this book so much, but it is a family name. Good list. I just read the Hunger Games (I know-what took me so long)? I read it because my thirteen year old daughter wanted to read it and I could not put it down and then of course had to read the next two.

    ReplyDelete