Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for Tinker Bell, Thumbelina and The Fairy with the Turquoise Hair

Okay, we've made it all the way to the letter "T" with barely a mention of one of my favorite enchanted creatures. The beautiful, mischievous, winged pixies themselves . . . fairies. And I thought it high time to rectify that problem. After all, they are called fairy tales. So here are a few of the most recognizable of their kind:

First and foremost, my most favorite fairy, Tinker bell! I think in some ways Tinker bell is the most important fairy tale depicted fairy because she's the most accurate depiction of traditional fairies. Unlike the angelic creatures we often associate them with, historically fairies were tricksters and thieves, kidnapping babies and luring mortal men into their traps. Tink, with her saucy attitude and penchant for jealous trickery, is a much closer representation to the original source. And I just can't help but love an ill-tempered pixie.

Thumbelina is another well known fairy, though of course she wasn't born as such. Sprung from a walnut, she's the girl that fits on the palm of hand and seems to be the most eligible bachelorette in the realm, drawing every kind of suitor from frogs to moles. It's not until she meets a fairy prince that she finds her true match, and receiving wings as a wedding present, becoming a fairy herself.

The Fairy with Turquoise Hair, better known as The Blue Fairy, is the guiding force in the story of Pinocchio. She frequently appears to him throughout his travels, administering advice and rescuing from several ominous situations. She adopts him as his son, and through her maternal care he begins to turn his life around, acting more like the human boy he longs to be as he takes care of his elderly father and sends the Fairy money  for her care when her health begins to fail. Seeing what a good person her adoptive son has become, the Fairy with the Turquoise Hair then grants him his deepest wish and turns him into a real boy. 

My Favorite Version:
The bird-turned-fairy Tinker Bell from the Peter and the Starcatcher series 

_________________________________________________________________________________
This post is part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. My theme (in case you didn't already guess) is Fairy Tales. Stay tuned for the rest of the alphabet, and if you'd like to check out the other participants, simply click here

14 comments:

  1. Tink was very bad at times and yet she was endearing. I always liked the fairies in Labyrinth that Sarah thought were so pretty and that then bit her :).
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came back from Scotland with many tales of mischievous fairies and their tricks and parties ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked Tinkerbell-she was a fun fairy and deserved lovin:) I also loved the Blue Fairy as she looked so beautiful to me and blue is my favourite colour

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew that about the Pinocchio fairy, and I have to agree that I prefer fairies that are close to their traditional roots. Which is why I love the pixies in Harry Potter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you recognised the snitty, jealous side to Tink, since Disney seem to be diluting that in her own movies.
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about Tinker Bell being closest to a real fairy. She was a cute trickster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember being surprised when I read Peter Pan, since I thought fairies were lovely little creatures. I blame Disney for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Disney movie can start without Tinkerbell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read Peter and the Starcatchers, but I've thought about it. That would probably be a great series to start next with my littles. I'm a total fairy fan too. =)

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been a great fan of these fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even fairies are more interesting when they have a darker side! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just heard they're doing a Peter Pan prequel called Pan- I wonder if they'll have a Tinker Bell character in it? (Hugh Jackman is reportedly playing Blackbeard.)
    The Thumbelina cartoon was a fave of mine as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd forgotten all these cute stories and their fairies. I kinda prefer the darker version of fairies though - the folklore about child-stealing, homicidal fairies. Heh-heh-heh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Think and capt. Hook. My top two favorite characters in Peter Pan. Gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete