Thursday, April 26, 2012

X is for X-Men and Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters

Well, this might not be the most original topic for “X”, but I simply couldn’t let this blogfest pass me by without talking about the X-Men at least once. And since I’m running out of steam a bit in this challenge, I decided to abandon my original idea for this post (in which I planned to give a long, drawn out – and probably pompous – speech on metaphorical mutant racism and its real life counterparts). Instead I thought I’d talk about something a little more personal.

To begin, the X-Men comics are my favorite comic book series, and have been since I first found my way to the superhero genre. I was immediately drawn to the concept of Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters, where Professor X taught teenage mutants to harness their powers and work together as a team. I always found the idea of young kids fighting evil exceptionally interesting, and more importantly, I love the idea of those same kids going through training, studying superherodom the way normal kids study to become an engineer or lawyer.

This concept stayed with me over the years, until the fall of 2011 when it – along with a few other books and movies – sparked the idea for my current novel. Unsurprisingly, the storyline involves three young high school students who are recruited into an elite, superhero team and taken through several months of intense training. While it doesn’t resemble X-Men too closely, my story certainly draws on Stan Lee’s for inspiration.

And for those of you who, like me, are X-Men enthusiasts, I wanted to mention a TV show called Alphas that friend Steven introduced it to me last year. Alphas is a SyFy channel series created by Zak Penn – better known as the writer X-Men 2, X-Men: The Last Stand, Elketra, The Incredible Hulk, and The Avengers (which he co-wrote with Joss Whedon). Here’s a quick synopsis:
The series follows five people with super abilities, known as "Alphas", led by noted neurologist and psychologist Dr. Lee Rosen as they investigate criminal cases involving other suspected Alphas. Rosen and his team of Alphas operate under the auspices of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, the criminal investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Defense. While investigating these crimes, the team quickly discovers that a group known as "Red Flag", which was thought defeated and eliminated long ago, is using other Alphas to commit crimes.
If you haven’t seen it already, I’d highly recommend watching it. Season 2 begins this summer!
__________________________________________________________________________________
This post is part of the Blogging A through Z Challenge 2012. My theme is (in case you didn’t already guess) science fiction. Stay tuned for the rest of the alphabet, and if you’d like to check in on the rest of the participants, simply click here.

29 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could really get used to this:

    http://michaelabayomi.blogspot.com/2012/04/x-men-first-class-movie-review.html

    I consider X-Men one of my favorite comics and cartoons (the 90s series) too. I especially love Wolverine (who doesn't!?) and Hugh Jackman's portrayal of the character is the only reason why I'm a Hugh Jackman fan today.

    P.S: Your book sounds like it's going to kick-ass; can't wait to read it. I'd been working on a similar book myself, since 1998 in fact:

    http://michaelabayomi.blogspot.com/2011/12/origin-of-storyteller.html

    I'm currently flirting with the idea of working on it for this year's NaNoWriMo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore X-Men and dedicated my "X" post to it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a comic book series called Morning Glories you may be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess who's over at my blog today...?

    Just wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed meeting you over the A to Z Challenge, S.L. Because this month has been given over entirely to my writing deadline and my book trailer shoot, I almost didn't take part, even though I'd been looking forward to it all year.

    But I figured I could still swing it, as long as I kept it short and sweet. The only thing I haven't been able to do is swing by the other blogs. Total drag!

    But I'll be dropping by here as soon as I get a moment to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered the X-Men as an early teenager in the 80s....the appeal for me was relating to feeling "different" as a teen and seeing these characters as "different" too.

    I tried to get back into the X-Men with the recent reboot (having been gone since Morrison's run) but found it too hard to jump back into...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just say, you're awesome -- over the month of April you have hit every book and movie I love. Of course X-Men had to be noted. Now I'm dying to read your novel, sounds like a page-turner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love your posts. Xmen is a legendary series. I used to collect the cards. It's pathetic, I know. Go ahead and give me the geek of the week stamp. Go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's a geek of the week stamp, I definitely deserve one too. And I look forward to your posts EVERY day. Your blog is one of my absolute favorites to read in the mornings and start off my day.

      Delete
  9. "Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something that always struck me as odd, speaking of Weapon X, why is it that Leech was a bald-headed kid in the movie, but the comics have him in his earliest depiction as a green-skinned mutant?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen much of the X-Men but I have seen Alphas. I enjoyed that series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! X-men! I heart them more than the average girl should.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems like the X-men are saving the day on a few blogs! Gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Hugh Jackman - but not in X-men - not my kind of movie at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the X-Men back in the 80's when I was most heavily into comics. I watched the first couple of episodes of Alphas but gave up on it pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michael – It DEFINITELY seems like we’re coordinating here. What’s your Y and Z hahah? And if you write that, I really want to read it. Let me know if you need Beta readers!

    Tony – I’ve heard of it, but never read it. I’m adding it to my comic book wish list immediately.

    MOCK – I think that’s one its biggest appeals for me as well.

    Jade Oak Marsh – That’s for being one of my most loyal followers, always.

    Joshua – I have no clue, but I’m really glad to hear that bothered someone else beside me!!!

    MJ – I think it’s a great show. I can’t wait for it to come back for season 2.

    Danielle – EVERY girl should like X-Men. They have some of the best female superheroes in the business.

    Simon – yes, I’ve noticed a trend…

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of X-men posts today - I'm enjoying them all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm waiting for Alphas to become available on netflix.

    I probably shouldn't tell you how far back my X-Men collection goes. Oh for the days of Chris Claremont... those were the best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. X-men is right up there with Harry Potter on my nerd-o-meter. My favorite comic book series too. I haven't seen Alphas, but I'm putting it on my TiVo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I'd found the comics as a kid - but I love the movies! I really enjoyed Alphas too - looking forward to season 2!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've seen parts of those films so many times - my kids will have them on whenever they can, and sometimes I'm in the room. I'm not sure I've seen enough scenes to piece together the plot though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I was a kid some of my cousins collected the X-Men trainding cards. Did you ever have those? I loved drawing my own heroes in cool costumes and gave them differen powers. Loved the '90's cartoon as well.

    Have you seen the new Japanese Anime X-Men? It is... interesting... A little hard to follow at times. Perhaps something is lost in the translation.

    We love Alphas, too. Especially Gary. (Although, after "Bones" it was weird to hear him sans the Brit accent.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the X-Men, and for a time (before I headed off to grad school), even followed all the spin-off comics. Very out of touch with what's going on now with the team, though.

    I'll have to check Alphas out, if it's available streaming on-line.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've read a few of the comics (I'm actually a big DC fan) but it wasn't until the movies that I became hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't read comics when I was a kid actually. so didn't know much about this story until later. It's a fun idea, that evolution could bring us to a point of powerful and greatly varied abilities. Imagine the side effect though- once everyone was like this... how bad beauty envy is today, what would it be like then? envy of better powers would only be even more pronounced I'd think. All the unfortunates who's birth power are lame things like touching silverware makes it polished, or they toast bread, or make rocks smell like apple, while others get to read minds, fly, stop time and phase shift.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the X-men. Alphas isn't bad, but no one can beat Wolverine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I was a kid, I found out that I was being put in the "gifted and talented" program. There are no words to describe my disappointment when I learned that it did not mean that I was going to join the X-men. (Yes, I'm a nerd.)

    ReplyDelete