Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Agents, and Manuscripts, and Edits! Oh My!

Several of my friends and family have responded to my August 16th "Down the Rabbit Hole" blog questioning what three events inspired the post. While the first two are personal and will therefore remain anonymous, the third event is part of the professional sphere, and now that it’s official, I see no harm in sharing. So, in case you’re interested and have not already heard via my many emails, texts, Facebook posts and phone calls . . .

I GOT AN AGENT!!!

I met my new agent – Josh Getzler of Hannigan Salky Getzler Agency – at the Houston Writer’s Conference in May 2011, where he very generously squeezed me in as his last interview on the last day of the conference. Lucky for me, he laughed with me over the oh-so-long title of my (then incomplete) manuscript, and asked me to send it his way as soon as I completed it. I assured him, not quite believing it myself, that it would be finished by the end of the month.

After four weeks locked in my room with no outside contact and even less sleep, I finally completed it and sent it his way on June 2. And thus began the waiting game (something which many of my amazingly talented writer friends are still pulling their hair over). But, after two months of torture, I finally heard back. Imagine my shock when Josh (my favorite of the four agents I interviewed with at the conference), told me he was interested in my work and wanted to schedule a phone conference. (P.S. I apologize to my friends and family members who had to deal with me while I waited to hear whether he wanted to represent me or not. To say I was a basket case would be the understatement of the century).  

But, after one amazing phone conference and two days of waiting for the official contract to come in, and as of August 17, 2011, I am officially a represented author!

Needless to say, it still hasn’t quite sunk in. Unfortunately, after the celebrating and haze of jubilation finally lifted, I realized how much editing I have to do before Josh begins sending my manuscript off to potential publishers. We’re looking to have it ready by late fall, so if you don’t hear from me much in the next few months, be patient . . .

But, for those of you who are interested in learning more about my new awesome agent, check him out:


P.S. Check out the names under the heading ‘Leading Clients’!!!


7 comments:

  1. Omg! Congratulations on signing with an agent! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! It's been an exciting few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squee!! I can't wait to hear how it goes! I loved the concept - and your passion when you talked about it. Can't wait to read it!
    Congrats to you and Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Nikki!! And thanks for the wonderful advice. As you can see, I followed up immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still SO delighted for you, woman!! Good luck with the edits! We're here to help, always ( :

    P.s. STILL playing the waiting game with Josh... I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because of vacay pile up and the hurricane... but seriously, if I don't hear from him soon (one way or the other!) I might go into cardiac arrest from all this "patient" waiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I missed this when you first posted it--CONGRATULATIONS! Your book sounds fantastic and you got a great agent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your "What I'm Writing" tab first and LOVED the project, so it was exciting to be scrolling through past posts and discover that an agent recently loved it too. Congrats and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete